Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Bye Bye Miss American Pie...

Today I was craving something sweet so I went off-book.  I found a recipe at allrecipes.com for Apple Pie Bread.  I decided that since I was replacing the milk with soy milk I would find a replacement for the egg and make it vegan.  I found several websites that suggested 1/4 cup applesauce for 1 egg.  I also used bread flour because that's what I had.

So here it is the recipe for:

K. Britt's Vegan Apple Pie Bread

Ingredients

  • scant 3 cups bread flour
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 1/2 cups soy milk
  • 1/4 cup plain applesauce
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cups diced apples
  • dash of ground allspice


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cloves. In a separate bowl, mix together milk, egg and oil until well blended. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture. Fold in apple. Pour into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour 20 minutes, until loaf springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

Ta Da!  (Which is short for da da ta-da!)


It is delicious!  I'm really excited that this worked out.  Feel free to try it for yourself.

I leave you with this to ponder...

Did you write the book of love?
And do you have faith in God above?
Do you believe in rock ’n roll?
Can music save your mortal soul?

Thank you for these eternal questions, Don McLean.

No comments:

Post a Comment