Saturday, April 30, 2011

"Anything you can do to draw attention to your mouth is good."

Thus spake Cher.  I had a couple "clueless" moments making this bread, including making the tomatoes twice.

#36 Tomato and Basil Bread

My house smells like pizza and my bread tastes delicious!

"I feel like such a heifer. I had two bowls of Special K, 3 pieces of turkey bacon, a handful of popcorn, 5 peanut butter M&M's and like 3 pieces of licorice. "

This recipe included sunblushed tomatoes, which are not really a thing in the US.  They are kind of like sundried tomatoes.  Mr. Paul Hollywood included a recipe for the tomatoes with the full recipe.  He said to cut tomatoes into slices, sprinkle with olive oil and heat in the oven at 225º F overnight.  I cooked them for about 3 hours and they were burnt and ruined.

Fortunately for me, Gwyneth Paltrow has a roasted tomato recipe in her new cookbook where she only halves the tomatoes (horizontally) and sprinkles with olive oil.  And they only stay in the oven 3-5 hours (I also turned the heat down to about 200º).  It worked soooo much better.

"You see how picky I am about my shoes and they only go on my feet."

The next problem came, as can be expected, when it came time to mix the tomatoes and basil into the dough.  I can't ever get things to mix in well.  I did my best, though.  Next, I was to roll the dough into a long sausage shape and tie it in a knot.  Here's how that went:

She's a full-on Monet.

"It's like a painting, see?  From far away, it's OK, but up close, it's a big old mess."

Ok, it's kind of a mess from any distance but it tasted pretty scrumptious.

Today's video shows the fabulousness that is one of my favorite movies.


With all the wisdom I have gained from Amy Heckerling's masterpiece, I bid you adieu.

"It's like that book I read in the 9th grade that said "'tis a far far better thing doing stuff for other people.""

P.S.  This movie marks the beginning of my love for Paul Rudd.  He's lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment