Thursday, July 28, 2011

K. Britt and the Chocolate Croissant Factory

"Where is fancy bred? In the heart or in the head. "

#54 Chocolate Croissant

Yeah...you read that right.  According to Paul Hollywood, "If there is no other recipe in this book you try, do try this - I promise you, it's heaven.  And if you've fallen out with your partner, make these and you'll kiss and make up in no time."



I started the croissant dough last night.  If you want to know how much I hate making croissant dough, you can read my previous post on croissants.  It's not fun.  Lots of folding and rolling.  For hours.

"Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous. "

The next step was to roll out and cut the dough. Instead of triangles the dough was to be cut into rectangles and then the chocolate was rolled inside the dough. The recipe called for Terry's Chocolate Oranges, but I couldn't find any chocolate oranges. I have been looking since November because here in America chocolate oranges are typically only found around Christmastime. The recipe did say you could substitute with any good quality orange-flavored chocolate. I used Ghirardelli Dark and Orange.

"Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple."

I did have a little difficulty rolling the dough around the chocolate. You see, chocolate orange slices are pretty conducive to rolling but nearly flat squares are not. So I broke each piece of chocolate in half, stacked them, then rolled the dough. As with previous croissant making the final rise caused the dough to un-roll. I just pushed them back together and after baking only one really unfurled.  I did decide to forgo the apricot jelly glaze because I really don't like apricots and didn't want to spend the money.

"If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it."

2 little cuties!

Surprisingly tasty!  I wasn't sure about the chocolate with  orange filling, but it was pretty good!  The croissant dough was delicious.

"So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it. "

All quotes from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

No comments:

Post a Comment