Tuesday, March 8, 2011

It's Mardi Gras, ya'll!

I made King Cake!

I was introduced to King Cake when I worked at summer camp a few years ago.  We celebrated Mardi Gras every summer since so many people at camp are from Louisiana (like me!).  I didn't grow up in Louisiana and my family is not from there so I had never even heard of this wonderful dessert until college.

Here's the recipe I used as the basis for my King Cake:  Yum!

I altered it a little because of the things I had on hand.

I used a little less sour cream because I had an almost full 8oz. container.  I used about 2 1/4 cups bread flour because I had the flour on hand and the dough looked like the recipe described with that small amount.  Lastly, I used soy milk for the icing because I don't buy cow's milk.

Here's a picture of my colored sugars.


Coloring these made me remember how much I love food coloring.  My grandma used to let me make designs in her pound cake batter and I'd try to think of ways to get different colors and designs.

Even though this is "cake" and not bread per se, I think it qualifies for the blog of the basis that the dough had to be kneaded and cake does not need kneading.

Final product of this fun recipe...

Ta Da!

It tasted fantastic too!  Look at that swirl!


Here's a song that I've been loving lately.  And I think it kind of has a New Orleans vibe (even though the artist is Scottish).


I'm gonna go have some more King Cake...Laissez les bon temps rouler!

No comments:

Post a Comment