Thursday, September 15, 2011

Shallow HALloumi

This bread was something else.  My kitchen smelled like toothpaste for a few hours.

#66 Halloumi and Mint Bread

Halloumi is a sheep's milk cheese from Cyprus and the bread is a "traditional Cypriot bread".  It is a weird cheese.  It doesn't melt.  It actually browns and gets a crispy crust when cooked.  The taste isn't really anything special, though.

"You Had Me At "Get Lost"."

I couldn't get the cheese and mint to mix in properly (which was no surprise), and I forgot to put the cuts in the top of the loaf before baking.  I didn't have high hopes for this bread anyway.  I mean, cheese and mint?

"She takes the whole bakery, Hal."

Here's what the final product looked like:


Crispy, brown cheese nuggets.


The cheese that doesn't melt.


The bread was not very good.  I'd rather be that poor kid from the pool than try it again.

Hasta Luego!

Quotes and video clip from Shallow Hal.

No comments:

Post a Comment