Monday, September 24, 2012

Cinnamon Raisin Scones in the Big City

2 weeks in Chicago!



I baked something last week. But the lack of internet access in my apartment has caused me to be a little less connected than usual. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing...Anyway...

Cinnamon Raisin Whole-Wheat Scones

I tweaked a Paul Hollywood recipe for this one because I didn't want anything too challenging for my first attempt at baking in a gas oven.

I used his Whole-Wheat Scone recipe from 100 Great Breads. I used Earth Balance instead of butter because I don't really buy butter unless I'm making some kind of French pasty where I think butter is necessary, but I digress. I also added a half tablespoon of cinnamon and the suggested amount of golden raisins (PH has that as an option alongside the recipe). I used raw sugar instead of superfine, which may have caused them to turn out a little less sweet. Also I used 1 and 1/2 large eggs because that's what I had (instead of 2 medium), but it was still a little too wet so I ended up adding quite a bit of flour to keep from having baked pancakes (ew).

The oven time thing was a concern for me (and rightly so) since a friend had told me before I moved that gas ovens don't heat as evenly as electric, so I kept a close eye on the scones while they were in the oven. I may have actually taken them out a little early, but I was scared of burning them. They were bouncy when they came out, and more bouncy the next day (instead of brick-like as my scones have tended to be on the 2nd or 3rd day in the past). Bouncy is the best word I could come up with to describe the texture. They didn't taste weird at all, except that they were a little less sweet than I would have liked.

But enough with the talk...here's what they looked like...






A little paler than I would like even though I sprinkled them with raw sugar right before going in the oven...I think I have to be a little less cautious with oven times in the future.

Also, in reference to the awesome picture at the top of this post...it's not mine. I haven't made it that far downtown yet. Maybe I'll make it before the snows start.

Love and carbs to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment